Tone on tone

This sweater from Forever 21 caught my eye right away…from several aisles over!!

And the big bonus when I got it home?? Such a great match with this checkered pencil skirt!! I had jeans in mind for it; but isn’t it awesome when you fall in love with a new piece…and it goes with lots of items already in your wardrobe?!

I tried my olive Guess booties with the look first; but because my husband and I were going to the North Shore for the afternoon – lots of walking! – I switched them out for this Steve Madden pair instead. Suddenly, I had a completely different vibe happening…but I liked it!!

How do your shopping experiences usually work out?? Do you a keep a fairly accurate mental inventory of what goes with what, or do you just buy things “on the fly?!”

1. January 24, 2014 / 7:56 pm

Dear Monika, these colors looks great and fits perfectly to you. I like the sweater and I can understand that he has caught your eye. It is a great joy when the new piece fits to your existing wardrobe. I try to buy already planned … but that does not always succeed. 🙂 And therefore there are occasional impulse buys … that happens to me sometimes even online. But rather rare.
    The whole outfit is awesome and would make, from boots to sweaters very well in my closet.
    Have a very nice and relaxing weekend – greetings Conny
    Pants and Tops

• January 25, 2014 / 7:35 am

I think we need to be open to those "impulse" purchases, dear Conny!! Basics are important, of course; but I think our fashion personalities REALLY get to shine with pieces we buy just because we love them!!

2. January 24, 2014 / 10:18 pm

Hi Monika,

I'm a mix of both, i keep in mind what i have in my closet, which is btw a lot! and i buy on the fly, but always manage to find something to wear with –
    What is the material of your sweater- I like it, nice color and yes it's perfect with the skirt

Have a great weekend

Arianexo

• January 25, 2014 / 7:11 am

I'm a "treasure hunter" when I shop…I don't need to be looking for anything in particular, but I'm always ready to find my next perfect piece!! And if it doesn't fit in with my current wardrobe?? Well…another excuse to go shopping again!!
      This Forever 21 sweater is an acrylic knit; I usually look for cotton or wool, so it remains to be seen how well it holds up!!

• January 25, 2014 / 7:39 am

Thank you Iliyana…and thank you for visiting my blog!!

3. January 25, 2014 / 1:34 am

I usually buy things on impulse, but then I end up with lots of interesting pieces and no basics (like jeans, coats and black sweaters), so then I'm forced to make a list and not to buy anything else until I get all the basics I need… Otherwise I'm usually not really concerned with buying things that go well with the ones I already have…everything looks good with something black, right? 🙂

• January 25, 2014 / 8:11 am

You are totally right, Anett…what doesn't go with black?! So as long as we remember to keep at least some "grounded" pieces on hand, the fun items are always going to work!!

4. January 25, 2014 / 12:34 pm

I'm in love with your sense of style! I usually think ahead about what I'm shopping for, but sometimes a surprise find/impulse buy works out beautifully!

• January 25, 2014 / 6:45 pm

Groceries are one thing…but I can't even imagine (always!) sticking to a list when I'm shopping for clothes!! How boring would THAT be?! 😉

5. January 25, 2014 / 5:01 pm

I'm a mix of both. I keep a mental list of pieces I am looking for, but I do my fair share of impulse shopping, too.

I love this outfit. The sweater looks fabulous with this skirt!

• January 25, 2014 / 6:53 pm

Judging from all the lovely comments, it looks like everyone is on the same page when it comes to shopping habits, dear Shara…which I personally think is how it SHOULD be!! When you love fashion and style, there are always going to be those "I don't need it, but I have to have it!" moments!!