Plaid tie

A “grungy” look is an extension of a rock-inspired look, right??

I’ve often mentioned that – for quite a few years now – my favourite looks will tend to have a somewhat rockerish edge to them; but enjoying a nineties influence is still relatively new for me!!

This started out to be a pretty straightforward jeans and sweater outfit, with my leather moto jacket thrown on for some extra warmth…we’ve had some rather chilly days here in Vancouver again lately!! And because I wanted to show off this fun, rhinestone-embellished skull pendant that my hubby surprised me with just the evening before, I had to add it to the mix!!  (Seriously – is it wrong to think that death’s head jewellery is adorable?!  ‘Cause I have a real soft spot for it!!)

Somehow though, my finished look just didn’t seem to be quite “finished” yet; what could I add to give a little extra interest?  My first thought was my leather beanie (definitely my go-to edge-ifier of late) but then I remembered this maroon and yellow shirt hanging in my closet; the perfect piece for some extra colour and pattern!!  Because it was too snug to layer over my sweater, I tied it around my waist…

And voila!!  My personal nod to the era of grunge bands!!

1. February 12, 2014 / 4:34 pm

I love looks like this… I haven't worn anything too edgy lately but it's definitley an aesthetic I adore! I'm sure I'll be back to it soon enough. Love mixing up the style! And I love how a few simple touches… plaid shirt, skull necklace and leather jacket take your ensemble to a whole new level!! xoxo

By The Shore, a life + style blog

• February 12, 2014 / 7:32 pm

I have enough of the "uniform" thing at work, Veronika…so mixing it up on my days off is what it's all about for me, too!! Sure, I have my go-to elements (I think we all do!) but what better way to express all our different sides that with different outfits, right?!

2. February 13, 2014 / 4:38 pm

Seriously LOVE that look! I'm gonna try to copy it! So cute, casual, and cool!

• February 13, 2014 / 5:54 pm

Thank you Dawn…I'm flattered!! And really looking forward to seeing your version!! 🙂

3. February 13, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Yes and now I can hear Kurt Cobain singing 🙂 Sometimes I love this look, because it is so comfy and edgy and like the way you wear it, it is a great combination. The plaid shirt have the perfect colors and suits although very well to the colors outside. It seems the weather in canada is crazy in the same way like in germany. This weekend we are going to get 17 degrees celsius – really crazy or? Dear Monika, have a nice day – greetings Conny xoxo
    Pants and Tops

• February 14, 2014 / 12:47 am

I noticed the perfect coordination with the colours outside, too…but honestly, that was totally unplanned!!! 😉 And this look was something very new for me – kind of an experiment, I guess! – but I really liked how it turned out!! I hope you enjoy your summery weekend, dear Conny…I am envious!!