Ten below

I am re-interpreting a line from The Wizard of Oz just slightly when I sayToto, can you tell that I’m not in Vancouver anymore?!

Thanks to my awesome dad – who was willing to brave Toronto’s frigid temperatures for the sake of my blog! – you are looking at photos that we took when we were experiencing one of the “milder” days of my recent stay there; yes, minus ten degrees Celsius was truly about the warmest weather we had…and that’s not counting the toe-numbing effects of a wind-chill factor!!

To all my dear readers who have been suffering through the ravages of the Polar vortex, you hereby have my deepest sympathies!!  And to those of us who have been graced by a gentler winter this year…all I can say is this:  you have no idea what “cold” really means!!  Dad and I had to capture these shots between bouts of jumping up and down just to get the blood flowing again; I’m laughing because I just couldn’t believe the craziness of it!!

And I’m sure that’s what the few people who passed us (bundled like Eskimos, I might add!) certainly thought when they realized what we were doing; two lunatics, taking photographs while the Arctic wind howled!!

Here’s a virtual round of applause for you, Dad… even without taking the “extenuating circumstances” into consideration, you did a fabulous job!!

1. March 3, 2014 / 6:46 pm

Aww, what a wonderful daddy! Love your smile & adorable outfit! I've never been in below 0 weather and can't even imagine how cold that must be!

• March 3, 2014 / 7:28 pm

Count your blessings, Dawn!! I actually moved from Toronto to Vancouver to get away from those icy winters…the rain we get on the West Coast doesn't bother me nearly as much!! This look was definitely all about the coat…which unfortunately, despite it's length and awesome hood, was really no match for the temperature!! But Dad and I had fun anyway!!

2. March 3, 2014 / 8:09 pm

I bet Daddy had a great time taking pics of his little girl! Go Dad.
    Who would've thought that Missourians would be experiencing similar cold as Canadians. But you said it thanks to the Polar Vortex we did. At least the sun is out!
    Looks like you both had fun. Your pics show it!
    Lizzie

• March 4, 2014 / 2:59 pm

Hello there Lizzie…so nice to "meet" you!! My dad was kind of nervous about taking my pictures as first, but once he warmed up to the idea (ha!) we really did have fun!! And I guess having a tough winter will make everyone appreciate spring that much more!! Thank you so much for visiting!!

3. March 3, 2014 / 8:50 pm

Oh my god, this is very cold and I'm happy, that we here in bavaria escaped really cold winter days this year. When I look to your pictures, I can imagine how cold it was. Nevertheless the pics are great. Your dad is wonderful and he did a great job. Also the Outfit is nice – the coat is very special and exactly my taste with this leather sleeves. Also your pants is wonderful. I like the tartan.
    And I'm really happy, that you are home again and I hope you have enjoyed the days with your parents? And now I'm curious about your new shoes…. 🙂
    Have a nice week my dearest Monika, Conny xoxo
    Pants and Tops

• March 4, 2014 / 3:13 pm

This coat was one of those lucky finds, dear Conny…since I always like my basics to have a bit of a "twist," the contrasting sleeves and big collar (that turns into a hood!) fit the bill perfectly!! I miss my parents a lot, but it is very nice to be home again, too…it's so much easier to take photos when you are not freezing your bum off!! 😉

4. March 3, 2014 / 11:40 pm

Hola Monika, precioso abrigo y los pantalones con print tartan muy bonitos. Besos

• March 4, 2014 / 9:12 pm

Gracias!! I'm very sorry that I don't speak Spanish…but I think you are saying that you like my red and black jeans?? I pushed myself out of my comfort zone when I got these; but they are a great way to add some interest to an otherwise all-black look, aren't they?!

5. March 4, 2014 / 3:51 am

Haha you are right, I have no idea what cold is, and I don't want to know… Greetings from Tuscany :)) I really like your coat in these pics, and you look beautiful!

• March 4, 2014 / 5:40 pm

Nothing like an Arctic gale to put some roses in your cheeks, dear Anett!! 😀 But I'm sure that Tuscany does the same for you…without side-effects like frostbite!! (Lucky girl!!)

• March 4, 2014 / 8:06 pm

I WOULD have been very comfy…if I hadn't been so cold!! Luckily, we don't have the same harsh weather here in Vancouver, so I don't usually have to choose function over fashion!!

6. March 4, 2014 / 8:03 am

It is great to be friend with parents! Bravo for your Dad and you of course!! Here, in Croatia we have not had winter as we know, yet. But who knows… We had a lot of rainy days during this "winter" period which is also boring.. Outfit is totally part of the white environment…Like your tartanpants muuch 🙂
    Love, Sily

• March 4, 2014 / 4:28 pm

Well Sily…in my opinion, rain is ALWAYS better than snow and cold!! 😉 And since I needed to keep my coat tightly buttoned, I though that my red plaid jeans were the perfect way to add a little personality to an otherwise very covered-up look!!