Zoe inspired

Love her or not…there’s no denying that Rachel Zoe and her signature look have had a huge impact on the personal style of many of today’s celebrities (and more ordinary folk, too!!)

Because her looks are frequently very bohemian and seventies-inspired, I’ll admit right now that I’ve been a fan for quite a few years!!  The platform heels, flowy maxis and flared pants that Ms. Zoe wears – and chooses for her clientele – are a goldmine of inspiration for me; and today I decided to channel that vibe with this really striking black and white caftan!!

Yes…this is actually a beach cover-up; but I couldn’t resist creating a streetwear-appropriate outfit by adding a fringy belt, and layering it over a pair of faded denim skinnies.  The belt is one of my most recent fabulous finds at Winners; at $80 (regularly priced at $140!), it was still the most money I’ve ever spent on this particular kind of accessory…

But seriously, isn’t it amazing?!  I can’t tell you how often I’ve thought that my belt collection was missing that one special “statement” piece; I’m convinced that I finally found it!!  Yippee!!

• May 31, 2014 / 3:50 pm

Thanks so much, Anett!! I just knew that this caftan would also work really well as a dress…and that fringy belt?! You're going to be seeing A LOT of it in coming posts!! Best weekend wishes to you, too, sweetie!! XO

1. May 30, 2014 / 7:19 pm

Super FAB! I love Rachel Zoe too. I'm totally into 70s inspired looks and decor. What a cool idea to use a beach cover up for a street wear outfit. It came out totally chic and pretty. You're looking gorgeous as always, my dear.

• May 31, 2014 / 4:00 pm

You're the best, dearest Dawn!! I'm starting to believe that the whole situation with my injury has been a bit of a blessing in disguise…it's really inspired me to stretch my sartorial wings more than ever before!! How have you been managing lately with your cast?? I'm thinking of you!! XO

2. June 1, 2014 / 12:35 pm

That's a great styling, Monika and it really suits you so well!
    Statements pieces as well as shoes are essential for creating a look.

I especially love the more recent collections of Rachel Zoe, I do think she has made a big step in the fashion industry.

Annette | Lady of Style

• June 2, 2014 / 12:08 am

Hi there, dear Annette!! I agree with you about the statement pieces – that's how we create personality with a look, and really make it our own!! I enjoy Rachel Zoe's designs too; but sadly, most of it is just a little out of my reach, price-wise. Still, she's wonderful inspiration!! 🙂

3. June 2, 2014 / 7:33 pm

Wow that looks great – this is a perfect Monika-Styling. And you made the kaftan together with the fabulous belt and the sandals really to your own. You have a great style, dear Monika – greetings and kisses from bavaria – Conny

• June 3, 2014 / 1:02 am

Aww…thank you, dearest Conny!! Of course, the caftan will be great for the beach this summer, too; but I'm always happiest when I can wear a piece several different ways!! XO