Monkey see…monkey do

Not exactly the most flattering analogy, right??  But fashion and style are truly a little like that…we’ll see a new silhouette, or fabric treatment, or colour story on someone (or a few someones) and suddenly, we have to have it, too!!

Take this overall/romper combination from American Eagle Outfitters; both were trends that I wasn’t going to follow…and yet, here I am!!

The fact that this was essentially a two-for-the-price-of-one piece – which means I’m giving up less closet real estate for what might be a short-lived love affair! – and a steal at only $25…seriously, what did I have to lose?!  Not to mention that it happened to be in my favourite shade of green!!

My soft suede Nine West heels were perfect for elevating the casual feel of the shortalls just a little; and I actually managed a few hours of shopping (including groceries!) while wearing them!!  It’s like the training wheels are coming off!!  ๐Ÿ˜€

If nothing else, this hybrid romper will make the perfect cover-up for beach season…but how do you think I did with today’s more street-appropriate look, dear readers??  Did the proverbial monkey steer me in the right direction??

1. June 25, 2014 / 2:50 pm

Ha, love it! Because I really wasn't planning on doing the overalls trend but seeing yours… I'm thinking yes, yes!! I totally need these in my life. Love the material of yours and I love how you've put this outfit together. Two thumbs up, sweets!! xoxo

• June 25, 2014 / 4:58 pm

I say let that monkey swing, dearest Veronika!! ;D These short overalls were actually a lot of fun to wear; and the lightweight fabric gives them less of a utilitarian feel than denim probably would…together with the heels, I actually felt a little "dressed up," rather than dressed down!! XO

• June 25, 2014 / 5:24 pm

Considering your own recent blog posts, dearest Maggie, I was pretty sure that this look would be a hit with you!! Thank you for the vote of confidence!! XO

2. June 25, 2014 / 3:22 pm

Monkey see, monkey do helps us experiment with new styles and this totally works on you! Adorable! Seriously I don't think I could pull this off and you totally do! Love the heels with it. I wore heels for the first time Sunday night (really wore them, not just for a picture!) and it felt so strange! Happy to be back to having all foot fashion options available again! OXOX

• June 25, 2014 / 5:33 pm

That's a big reason we love "checking in" with one another, right dearest Dawn?! It's all about style inspiration!! And hey…you never know; there might just be the perfect overalls waiting to be discovered by you, too!! P.S. It really IS kind of weird getting back into heels after a longish absence!! Glad you made it!! XO

3. June 26, 2014 / 4:54 am

I thought until now that's not for me and until now I have always seen this kind of overalls in combination with sneakers or flat sandals. Maybe I liked it for that reason not so much. The material is beautiful. Great color and fortunately it is not made โ€‹โ€‹of light denim! The way you combined the overall it looks stunning. The shoes are awesome! Your leg must be better ? I also like that the chain and the sandals are the same color.
    Gorgeous photos dear Monika.. enjoyed watching them so much ๐Ÿ™‚

have a nice and sunny day
    Dana ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 26, 2014 / 6:22 am

Dearest Dana – thank you so much for the lovely compliments!! Sometimes, the right accessories can make all the difference when putting together a look, don't you think?! I'm so happy that I have at least one pair of high-heeled shoes I can comfortably wear right now; my lower leg and foot are still very swollen, so most of my footwear simply won't fit!! ๐Ÿ™

• June 26, 2014 / 7:03 pm

These shoes are becoming my favourites by default, dear Anett!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I thought the lacy top and heels would add a nice "feminizing" effect to the workwear-inspired overalls; I'm glad you agree that it was a success!! XOXO

4. June 26, 2014 / 8:14 pm

Dear Monika, your heels are wonderful…. and together with this cozy combination – I would like to have all of them in my closet. This romper/overall is perfect, because I really like this piece of clothes. In my opinion it is so diversified and fits to a lot of different styles. And you affirming this with your wonderful look. Your pics are lovely – perfect light – I think you took the pictures in the late afternoon – right? ๐Ÿ™‚ And I will say thank you for your really nice comments during my holidays… I was happy about every single word… as always.
    Have a nice day dear Monika and take care… Conny xoxo
    Pants and Tops

• June 27, 2014 / 6:55 am

Oh, I'm so glad you're back, dearest Conny…I've missed you!! I'm also very glad to hear that you had such a lovely vacation; everyone deserves some time "away from it all" every now and again!! Yes…we stopped to take these photos on our way home from an afternoon spent doing errands; and I have to admit, I felt pretty good in my romper outfit!! ๐Ÿ˜‰