Style 3-Play: Summer Black Look One

If you’re one of my regular visitors here, then it’s definitely no secret that I love to wear black…even during the months of summer!!

An all black look is certainly doable if the pieces themselves have a bit of a warm weather feel; but one of the easiest ways to incorporate some black into an outfit that’s sun and heat appropriate is to combine it with white!!

And in my opinion, nothing (with the possible exception of a sundress!) says “summer” quite like a white linen skirt!!  This DKNY Jeans version is as old as the hills, but it’s remained a favourite of mine over the years because it strikes that perfect balance between relaxed – the wrinkles are supposed to be there! – and pretty.

I’ll often wear it with only a simple tank and sandals, but today I wanted to add some extra interest – and a touch of edge – by adding a black camisole over this striped tank, for a slightly different take on the layered bralette trend.

And my Jeffrey Campbell shoes?!  You haven’t seen them since I wore them with “My boyfriends,” but today they finished off my black-and-white look with perfection, don’t you think?!

1. August 4, 2014 / 2:36 pm

Love this look! A good way to make black summery.

• August 5, 2014 / 5:06 am

So nice to have you visit again, dear Wendy!! Stay tuned…I have some more tricks up my sleeve for Look Two and Look Three!! ;D

2. August 4, 2014 / 5:34 pm

Lovey, you're looking extra fabulous today!! Plus, I love your Jeffrey Campbell shoes… remember them well with your boyf jeans. Hope you're enjoying the most smashing long weekend. This weather has been a dream, no?!! xoxo

• August 5, 2014 / 5:20 am

Oh yes…summer in Vancouver is heavenly, isn't it, dearest Veronika?! And I think maybe my new "frame" (i.e. blog layout!) might have something to do with why I'm looking so – glowy? – right now!! 😉

• August 5, 2014 / 8:30 pm

Thank you very much, Cvety…and thank you for visiting, too!! 🙂

• August 5, 2014 / 8:47 pm

These white shoes are very different from all my others, dear Gaby…but they make a good "switch-up" for those days when my bad leg needs a break from high heels!! I am really happy that you "visited" today…thank you for leaving me a little note!! 🙂

• August 5, 2014 / 11:40 pm

Thanks Natalia!! It was a bit of an experiment with the layered tops, but I like how it turned out…and I'm glad you do, too!! 🙂

3. August 6, 2014 / 12:01 am

I agree with you black is a spectacular color. And it really doesn't matter if it's summer, fall, winter, or spring! I think what you did was great because the look is still summery:)
    xo Olivia

• August 6, 2014 / 3:25 am

And even though I'm wearing a skirt, I think the finished look came out just a little "tomboy," too…unexpected, but I liked it!! 🙂

4. August 6, 2014 / 8:46 am

I love wearing black during summer months as well, I don't know why. I've got to say you look good in black and that outfit is not an exception. You are dressed simple but tasteful!
    Wish you a blessed day ahead!

• August 6, 2014 / 5:32 pm

Even though I absolutely adore boho-inspired outfits, dear Alexandra, I also really like a more streamlined, slightly minimalist look…and black works very well for that!! Who says we have to "pigeon-hole" our personal style; mixing it up keeps things interesting, right?!

• August 7, 2014 / 2:11 pm

What's not to love about a pink sky, right dearest Dawn?! And my linen skirt looked good with each of these tops, so I thought "what the heck!"…and wore them BOTH!! ;D

• August 7, 2014 / 2:16 pm