Check please: Red plaid dress over a white shirt!

So I love, love, LOVE to shop…but I have to admit that it’s nearly as much fun to take pieces that I already own and put them together in completely new and different ways!!

styling a white button-down shirt under a red plaid dress

Today was one of those days when I felt the need to push the sartorial envelope a little with a combination that I wouldn’t otherwise immediately reach for; I knew I wanted to wear my mod-inspired red plaid dress…but then what?!

styling a white button-down shirt under a red plaid dress

styling a white button-down shirt under a red plaid dress

My first instinct was to layer a black mock-turtleneck under the dress; not bad, but not “special” enough, either.  Then I remembered how much I liked the way my white button-down shirt looked layered with a sweater in my “Back to school” outfit…maybe that was a possibility??

red plaid dress and accessories

cat-eye sunglasses

Oh yes!!  There’s a bit of the tomboy element that I enjoy including in many of my outfits…and some retro flare (care of the dress’s short hemline and my tall boots)…and (hello cat-eye sunnies!) a touch of rock and roll, too!!  I’d say it’s a personal style jackpot, dear readers!!  🙂

styling a white button-down shirt under a red plaid dress

1. April 1, 2015 / 6:58 pm

Such a great layering! I love both these pieces and they go so well together 😀 That plaid is just too nice! 🙂 Love the tights and heels as well x
    Shopping is too much fun but I do agree I also love to go through my clothing and put different pieces together 😀

Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

• April 3, 2015 / 4:29 am

I'm still kind of hesitant about button-down shirts, dearest Kelsey and Kenecha…they simply don't have the comfort factor of a soft and stretchy knit. But this white version comes pretty close…and layered under my red plaid dress, it looks just tomboyish enough!! 🙂

• April 3, 2015 / 4:49 am

Now that spring has arrived, I'm thinking that the season for red plaid is officially over, dearest Dawn…but I'm also happy I managed to squeeze one more wear out of this cute little dress!! 🙂 P.S. Fun Fashion Friday, here I come!! XOXO

2. April 2, 2015 / 6:14 pm

I agree it is fun to try to wear the clothes you have in a new way! Love the idea of wearing a white shirt under a cute plaid dress! The tall boots are such a cute touch and so are those cat eye sunglasses! So nice to see how nicely your grass and trees are blooming! Happy spring!

Rebecca

• April 3, 2015 / 5:09 am

Aren't those sunnies the BEST, dearest Rebecca?! They're the perfect balance of retro and modern…and a funky finishing touch for my shirt and dress combination!! P.S. Sending best wishes that spring is just around the corner for you, too!! XOXO

3. April 2, 2015 / 7:01 pm

Absolutely lovely, Monika! I also enjoy pairing "old" pieces from my growing collection. Sometimes, pieces sit and sit there in the closet for a while waiting for just the right partner to arrive. Other times, they meet for the first time even though they were sitting next to each other for a while in my closet. You certainly hit the jackpot with finding this combination! Love the retro-n-roll chic! xx

• April 3, 2015 / 5:29 am

Lately I'm finding that my favourite personal style combinations are also the more unexpected ones, dearest Natalia!! Just as you said…there are ALWAYS all kinds of "new" looks waiting to be discovered in our wardrobes; and with a little experimenting, that next outfit jackpot will be right around the corner!! ;D