Dark horse: what to wear for a day-long road trip

So life goes on, dear readers…it’s been a week today since my husband and I said good-bye to our sweet Badger.

styling a fringy Free People cardigan with burgundy faux-leather leggings

Distractions have helped; the veterinary clinic where I work has been busy lately (no time for Instagram during my lunch break!)…and hubby took me for a day trip to Washington State for some cross-border shopping, which simply wasn’t doable while we had a ferret at home that needed hand-feeding every few hours.

fringy Free People cardigan with accessories

styling a fringy Free People cardigan with burgundy faux-leather leggings

And what could be better than leggings and a blanket-like cardi when you’re going to be on the road for several hours??  My “chauffeur” likes to unroll the car windows just when I start feeling really warm and toasty, but the faux-leather and wool combination did a good job of keeping me cozy…even with a draft – excuse me, a breeze – making it’s way through our vehicle!!

styling a fringy Free People cardigan with burgundy faux-leather leggings

fringy Free People cardigan with accessories

Plus, I got a compliment on my “dark horse” ensemble from one of the very hip sales associates at Nordstrom…and that’s never a bad thing, am I right?!

styling a fringy Free People cardigan with burgundy faux-leather leggings

1. April 15, 2015 / 3:06 pm

How not to compliment such a stylish girl? You look wonderful, very cool outfit, Monika! Glad to hear that you took some time off. Day trips help. Hope you got some treasures from WA!

• April 16, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Our trip across the border was a nice little escape, dearest Natalia…but it ended up being mostly a "window shopping" kind of day!! Still, a change of scene was just what the doctor ordered…and with any luck, I'll be able to convince my hubby to take me again in the not-too-distant future!! 😉

2. April 15, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Looking fab as always, love this whole look. Hope a bit of retail therapy helped. Take care.
    Sue x
    Bestfriendstyle

• April 16, 2015 / 2:19 pm

It certainly helped, dearest Sue; even though I didn't end up bringing anything home with me…THIS time!! ;D

3. April 16, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I´m so sorry about your little darling! Don´t want to think about what I should do or how I would feel if our cat Yoshi would get really sick. My best wishes to you <3
    Your outfit is absolutely gorgeous! Great style! The skinny red pants and this awesome cardigan. I also love things out of wool to cuddle in when it get´s fresh and I´m the first who is freezing.

have a good time dear friend
    Dana 🙂

• April 19, 2015 / 4:32 pm

Thank you very much, dearest Dana, for your words of sympathy; it's truly been a comfort to know that all my friends in the blogosphere have been thinking of me. And if I remember correctly, you're a fan of not only the softest wool…you like the slightly "scratchy" kind, too – just like I do!! 😉

• April 19, 2015 / 4:38 pm

Getting "dressed up" has proven to be a good distraction from my grief as well, dearest Dawn; after all, how could I possibly start feeling better if I'm shlumping around the house in my pyjamas…am I right?! XOXO

4. April 17, 2015 / 5:40 am

A nice compliment is never a bad thing. :)) Sorry to hear about your little badger, the loss of a pet or family member is never easy. A quick get away is good to take your mind away for a bit. Glad you got that at least. Your outfit is indeed so stylish, no wonder you got a compliment. Loving the leather pants, they are fabulous!

xo,
    Tania

• April 20, 2015 / 3:37 am

Our mini road trip really was just what the doctor ordered, dearest Tania; my husband and I SO needed a "day off" from our recent sadness. Plus…there's nothing like a well-timed compliment to help a girl feel like smiling again!! XOXO

5. April 20, 2015 / 3:40 am

As you surely know by now, dearest Kelsey and Kenecha, I'm not big on lots of colour…but I looove me some great pattern and texture!! Glad you like it, too!! XOXO

6. May 19, 2015 / 6:30 am

Wow its amazing !! You look wonderful, very cool outfit, Monika! Glad to hear that you took some time off.

• May 19, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Thank you, Robert…and thank you so much for visiting, too!! 🙂