Hat trick: Boyfriend jeans with a plaid blouse and grandpa cardigan

I consider myself to be a reasonably accomplished shopper…but the one piece that tends to challenge me regularly??  The basic “top!!”

boyfriend jeans styled with a plaid top, grandpa cardigan, and felt-flower hat

Jeans, sweaters, dresses, and skirts are rarely an issue; I almost always find something new to love with every visit to my neighbourhood mall!!  But when the hunt is about a straightforward top (like a tank or a blouse) it’s much more likely that I’ll return home empty-handed.

boyfriend jeans styled with a plaid top, grandpa cardigan, and felt-flower hat

grandpa cardigan, felt-flower hat, and leopard backpack

I’m not sure why I’m so fussy about tops…but I am!!  There are so many details that need to be exactly right; from the fabric, to the neckline, to the type of sleeves.  The fact that I fell head-over-heels for this little plaid number is really no big surprise, though!!  The blouse isn’t new –  you’ve seen it before in my   “A little flare” post – but today it adds a perfect touch of colour and pattern to my tomboy combination of distressed jeans and slouchy cardi…

boyfriend jeans, plaid shirt, grandpa cardigan, and wedge peep-toe shoes

plaid shirt, grandpa cardigan, and felt-flower hat

…all topped off (hehe!) with this adorable, flower-embellished hat!!

boyfriend jeans styled with a plaid shirt, grandpa cardigan, and felt-flower hat

(And just a reminder – it’s Fun Fashion Friday today over at Fashion Should Be Fun!!  I know my friend Dawn would be thrilled to meet you; why not take a moment to link up and join the party?!)

1. April 17, 2015 / 10:12 pm

Aww thanks for the shout out, sweet Monika! Girl, we are opposite when it comes to buying. If I buy nothing else, I can always find some little top, but it takes a lot more work to find a skirt or pants. Funny right? Adorable this cool funky look. Thanks for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday & have a great weekend!

• April 20, 2015 / 4:01 am

We'd make SUCH an awesome shopping team, dearest Dawn…you'd be all about finding us the cutest tops, while I'd be in charge of snagging jeans and skirts!! ;D

2. April 18, 2015 / 1:44 am

Love your shirt, its so appealing to the eye and it makes it so much fun! Great color as well. The hat is too cute I just love it 😀

Have a great weekend love x

Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

• April 20, 2015 / 4:47 am

Yup…this blouse has EVERYTHING I always look for in a top, dearest Kelsey and Kenecha; great pattern (two thumbs up for plaid!), a v-neckline (my favourite!) and an interesting design detail (isn't the way the fabric drapes in front so cool?!) P.S. Every time I wear this little flower-trimmed hat, I fall even more in love with it!! XOXO

3. April 19, 2015 / 2:56 am

I have a hard time buying basics too. I have looked all Spring for a basic ivory tunic tank. The long flowy kind and I am coming up empty handed every time. Sometimes I even want to tell the shop managers how frustrated I am but I contain myself. Last week I must have shopped in 6 stores looking for lightweight jackets and came up empty handed there too. Until today while out for my birthday!
    I think this is one of my favorite outfits on you by the way!

• April 20, 2015 / 5:32 am

Happy (belated) birthday, dearest Joni!! How perfect that you finally got your hands on the kind of jacket you've been wanting…it's obviously a lucky shopping day for you!! Searching for – but not finding – a specific piece can definitely be hugely frustrating; I've got my fingers crossed that the flowy, ivory tank top of your dreams also manages to come true!! P.S. I'm so happy to hear how much you like this look!! XOXO