Taking a stand: styling cropped flares with a white sweater, platform heels, and a fedora

As an enthusiast of fashion and personal style, I can appreciate the endless parade known as “trends” even if I’m not always a fan of every next big thing.

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - cropped flare jeans styled with a white sweater, platform heels, and a felt fedora

I think most of us will agree that some trends are easy to fall instantly in love with…while others might take a bit longer to find their way into our hearts (cropped flares, I’m talking about you!!)  But one trend that I really can’t stand – or understand! – is athletic shoes worn with absolutely everything!!

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - cropped flare jeans styled with a white sweater and Vince Camuto studded platform heels

In my opinion, running shoes (or trainers or whatever you want to call them) have no redeeming qualities; they’re just out and out ugly!!  I’ve seen so many otherwise adorable/chic/cool outfits “ruined” in those last few sartorial inches; can’t we leave the gym shoes in the gym where they belong…and get back to doing pretty on the street??  (I will make an exception for Converse, though; they have a quirky charm that works well with denim or a cute summer dress!!)

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - white sweater, felt fedora

So, dear readers – let me know if you’re with me in ditching the athletic shoe trend…and definitely check out my Fabulous Footwear board on Pinterest for inspiration; I promise there isn’t a single pair of sneakers in the bunch!!  If, on the other hand, you wanna have a crack at convincing me of the nuances of Nikes worn with an evening gown, then argue away!!  😉

1. October 20, 2016 / 10:08 pm

To be honest I was a little sceptical when I saw the 'trainer' look being worn as normal day wear. However, having seen them styled in different ways and looking too darn comfy I did decide to buy a pair of adidas superstar trainers. I practically wore them for most of spring until it got too warm to wear them, they were jolly practical too as mum of toddler and loking after two others. They came in handy during weekends away when I was doing more walking but I didn't exactly feel like a modern fashionista – I just felt mumsy and that was ok with me. I guess each to their own and not being judgemental. Personally I don't think cropped flairs are particularly flattering, they make legs look short and most of us would like a few extra inches! Well I would anyway. Just saying.

• October 21, 2016 / 5:09 am

I totally agree – cropped flares CAN have a "leg shortening" effect…which is why I don't think I'd ever wear them without the countermeasure of some major heels!! And while "comfort" is always part of the athletic shoe argument, I know there are tons of other footwear options out there that are just as easy to wear. But life would be pretty darn boring if we all liked the same things, wouldn't it?! Thank you so much for visiting…and for leaving such a thoughtful comment!! 🙂

• October 21, 2016 / 5:11 am

I'd been on the hunt for the "perfect" white sweater FOREVER, dearest Anett…and I think I finally found it!! ;D

2. October 21, 2016 / 4:42 am

Monika, I totally agree with you, and am actually relieved t see your opinion. I really don't like trainers for anything but what they were meant for–exercise. It do like seeing converse with dresses on others–rarely do I like this look on myself.

• October 21, 2016 / 5:25 am

I've probably ruffled a few feathers with my opinion, dearest Linda…but honestly?? I dislike trainers so much, they're a big part of the reason I don't work out (and I'm not even joking!!) And while I've given Converse a pass, I haven't yet added a pair to my own shoe collection!! XOXO

3. October 21, 2016 / 1:45 pm

Such a cute fall look, perfectly styled. I love your shoes. As for running shoes, I really like them on other people, but when I put them on, I look and feel frumpy. So I save them for when I exercise, but occasionally I wear a pair of Converse or canvas loafers.

4. October 21, 2016 / 4:11 pm

I just put my cropped flares in the bin. It just doesn t suit me at all. I like them but not on me. I also hate trainers or whatever, I only love my all stars. Your outfit is great! Does look good on you! Come and join my Fancy Friday linkup!

5. October 22, 2016 / 11:11 am

I think I'm the only one who jumped wholeheartedly on the cropped flare bandwagon! But I was slow to embrace skinny jeans. I had to see them done well on women with hips and butt to feel like I could pull them off. The athletic shoe trend doesn't bother me too much, but I haven't embraced it for myself either. I'm all for cool quirky clogs and boots! You look amazing and your photos are all so good, Monika!
    Thanks so much for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday!