Poll day: Wardrobe maximalism and a moto vest styled with faux-suede culottes and ivory booties

The hows and whys of “capsule wardrobes” – curated collections were every item of clothing is carefully selected to work with everything else – have been a hot topic in the world of personal style for a while now…but what if that kind of sartorial minimalism isn’t your thing??

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - striped blouse, faux-suede culottes, moto vest, and ivory booties

As a self-confessed shopaholic, keeping myself restricted to a few well-thought-out purchases every season would be torture; as would being limited to wearing what basically amounts to a “uniform” of sorts.  Sure, I could swap out yesterday’s trousers for a skirt today, and trade a pair of pumps for some boots instead…but that just seems so boring when I can (and do!) have an entire smorgasbord of pieces to chose from instead!!

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - black and white striped blouse, olive moto vest

Of course, “wardrobe maximalism” has its challenges, too; sometimes it’s hard to see the proverbial forest for the trees…meaning that outfits can take a little longer to figure out since there are just so darn many options at my fingertips!!  But all the ingredients are there to allow me to dress for every possible mood and every side of my personality; something I just can’t imagine a mere “capsule” could accomplish.

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - striped blouse, faux-suede culottes, moto vest, ivory booties, leopard-patterned backpack

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - ivory Vince Camuto booties

From your lovely comments on my last post, I know that at least some of you share my passion for shopping…and probably have a similarly expansive closet to show for it!!  Do you sometimes struggle to come up with an ensemble to wear??  And is the challenge a worthwhile compromise, since “variety is the spice of life??”  Consider this an informal poll, dear readers (I’ll tell you what it’s all about later!) so I’d really love to hear from each and every one of you!!

P.S. These super sleek Vince Camuto booties??  You guessed it – they’re new!!  😀

1. November 8, 2016 / 2:36 am

Love the new boots! But more importantly, I love that you know what you are about! You are clear about yourself and your style story and I so admire that! I myself am confused these days. I love having a variety of great pieces to mix and match, but wish it were simpler somehow, more unified. Sigh.

• November 8, 2016 / 7:52 am

Please don't feel alone in your sartorial struggle, dearest Linda; I'm pretty sure that even those who look like they've always "got it together" regularly face the I-have-nothing-to-wear conundrum!! 😉 Let's see how some of my other readers comment…and thank you for being the first to weigh in on my little survey!! XOXO

2. November 8, 2016 / 12:13 pm

Just yesterday I thought, while everyone seems to be talking about an capsule wardrobe, nothing really works well together in my wardrobe. I mean, I buy a piece that I like. Sometimes I buy a skirt and look for a top to wear on it, but most off the times I buy pieces. And yesterday I was thinking, shouldn't I think better about what looks good together. And then I thought: no! I just want to buy what I like and combine what I like. I don't need, or want, a capsule wardrobe!

• November 8, 2016 / 2:57 pm

Capsule wardrobes sound very practical and logical…but I really believe that for many (most?) of us, emotion plays a big part in the choices we make when we're shopping and getting dressed. After all, buying – and wearing! – what we like is the whole point of personal style…right, dearest Nancy?! XOXO

3. Tiina
    November 8, 2016 / 12:27 pm

I am like you. Always want to come up with something new. The problem is I often forget the cute little pieces I have in my wardrobe which is in a chaos most of the time. And as you said it will take some time to come up with just the perfect outfit for the day but it is such fun to try different combos and experiment different styles, though not on work mornings:) So a minimalist, not me!

• November 8, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Yay!! Another wardrobe maximalist!! 😀 I totally agree that coming up with the perfect outfit "on the fly" can feel a little overwhelming when your closet is full to the brim with pieces you love, dearest Tiina…but I'm betting that for many fashionistas, downsizing to a few easy pieces simply isn't an option!! XOXO