Shopaholic: camo shirt, faux-fur vest, skinny jeans, and lug-soled wedge booties

Okay – so I’ve certainly never kept it a secret that I love, love, love shopping.  Not much in this world makes me happier than the prospect of an afternoon spent at one of my favourite malls…and I say that without a drop of irony.

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - skinny jeans, camo shirt, faux-fur vest, Sorel booties, and leather beanie

But what might be a bit of a surprise??  While I rarely admit it, I do sometimes feel guilty that the pursuit of my next sartorial conquest makes up such a big part of my life.  I’ve never been motivated by the endorphin rush of a workout, and I’ll have a drink maybe a couple of times a year…but that so-called “shopper’s buzz” is a very real thing for this girl!!

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - skinny jeans, faux-fur vest, Sorel booties, MK bag

By any definition, I probably have a bit of a problem…an “addiction,” if you will.  I don’t really need another pair of shoes (aren’t these new Sorel booties casual-outfit-catnip, by the way?) or skinny jeans (yes, my love has officially been re-kindled!) but it’s just sooo satisfying to add yet another wardrobe wonder – or three! – to my walk-in closet!!  Plus – my one and only credit card??  It gets paid off every month.

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - Sorel lug-soled wedge booties

Outfit inspiration c/o Monika Faulkner - camo shirt, faux-fur vest, leather beanie

So I’m asking you, dear readers – is it bad that I crave shopping the way some people crave cigarettes?? Are you just as obsessed with seeking out your next outfit acquisition as I am??  I await on those proverbial pins and needles for your response!!  ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. November 3, 2016 / 2:31 pm

I do have the same addiction, Monika. Always have and probably always will!
    But I do try to wear my closet also and look at new purchases with a different eye lately. Like do I already have something like it? Is it really different?
    These boots certainly are unique, so I'd call them a great purchase!!
    jodie

• November 5, 2016 / 5:11 pm

Oh my gosh…it's been footwear in particular that I've binged on recently, dearest Jodie!! Six or seven new pairs – gulp! – in the past month or so!! But since a shoe switch-up can take the same outfit in so many different directions, I'm gonna stand tall (literally!) by all my purchases!! ;D

2. November 3, 2016 / 3:14 pm

I totally get what you are talking about. . .There really is a "high" that comes from "hunting" for the next perfect purchase. In fact I read somewhere that it is akin to the primordial human organization as a hunting species. This morning, I share your sweet rush–I am wearing my own new wardrobe addition, a gorgeous burnt orange silk camisole that I am wearing as a vest, over a white button down shirt (sleeves rolled to the elbows) with dark green trousers. Perfect for bringing a fall mood to a not so chilly climate. Yay!

I am willing to share how I am working with the picture of shopping these days. So. . . I made a resolution this year to buy less, and more consciously. And I have mostly really stuck to it. I have bought fewer pieces, and planned for them, thinking about the holes in my clothing collection very carefully. I have kept myself away from malls and stores except for a handful of times. I have bought from a local shop I love; consignment stores (meaning I am trading usually for what I get);and a few online places that sell ethically/eco-consciously manufactured clothing. I continue to enjoy knitting new things for myself now and then.

Mostly, this approach feels right. I also have realized lately that it often sends me into the doldrums when I get dressed although sometimes I am able to challenge myself to find a brand new way to put things in my closet together. I would say that my new approach to clothing–and buying or not–is a work in progress!

• November 5, 2016 / 5:32 pm

Your autumn-inspired outfit creation sounds really gorgeous, dearest Linda!! I love that you wore your new silk camisole OVER your shirt; it's a layering trick we've seen done only relatively recently…and it's such an awesome way to show off a pretty piece that's typically hidden UNDER other layers!! And your approach to shopping is one to aspire to; if I only had some good thrift or consignment stores in my neighbourhood…I think they'd go a long way to muting the siren call of my local mall!! XOXO

P.S. Maybe we'll see your cami/shirt/trousers combo on my Fearless Fashion File Pinterest board sometime soon?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• November 6, 2016 / 3:04 am

I did wear the cami over the shirt. So fun! No pictures though. Maybe I need to orchestrate that for another time soon. I'll work on it.

3. November 4, 2016 / 5:14 am

I love to buy clothes! Every new item gives a fresh breeze into the piece one already owns

• November 5, 2016 / 5:35 pm

Shopaholics unite!! Thank you, dearest Nicole!! ;D

4. November 4, 2016 / 9:59 pm

Oh, i know! I haven't bought something for a few weeks now, and I'm craving for some shopping. I put the items on pinterest and watch them for a while, so maybe they are sold out by now! Pfff, btw it's Friday!!!!!! Fancy Friday, you remember! Linkup time! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• November 5, 2016 / 5:41 pm

Perhaps the very best thing about shopping is that there will always be something new to discover and to fall in love with, dearest Nancy!! You'll get your "fix"…I'm sure of it!! ๐Ÿ™‚ And yes – I DID remember to link up for Fancy Friday this week!! XOXO

5. November 6, 2016 / 11:27 am

Shopper's rush … totally! I also get a rush when an outfit comes together just right or a photo of the outfit shows it off just right! And I also pay my credit cards off each month. If we do that, how bad can we be, right?! And of course you look casual, cool, and perfect in this look, Monika.

Thanks so much for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday!

• November 7, 2016 / 6:43 am

I knew you'd be with me on the shopping front, dearest Dawn…yay!! As the saying goes – "you can't take it with you!!" XOXO