Guessing Game: polka-dot blouse, short-sleeve sweatshirt, knit maxi skirt, and a beret

Are you believers in the concept of developing your own definable personal style “uniform”, dear readers??

Monika Faulkner outfit inspiration - polka-dot blouse layered under a sweatshirt, knit maxi-skirt, and a beret

You know what I mean….that whole idea of coming up with an ultimate outfit formula for yourself – like a wardrobe holy grail – that will forever after be your trademark “I’d recognize you anywhere” look.

Monika Faulkner outfit inspiration - polka-dot blouse, short-sleeve sweatshirt, beret, cat-eye sunglasses

I’ve mentioned it before, but I honestly can’t imagine distilling my own fashion choices down to just a few simple words like “bohemian” or “tomboy” or “rock-and-roll.”  I have many sides to my personality (as we all do!) so why on earth would I want to dress for only one?!

Monika Faulkner outfit inspiration - polka-dot blouse, short-sleeve sweatshirt, knit maxi-skirt, cross-body bag

And really – what’s the point of trying to categorize your personal style??  It’s way more fun to keep ’em guessing by going with your sartorial mood of the moment!!  So what if donning a pencil skirt now and cowboy boots tomorrow doesn’t fit any conventional labels; you do you, baby…whoever that might be today!! ☺️

1. November 9, 2017 / 3:39 pm

I ADORE your keeping-them-guessing style! And I feel exactly the same way! And I think by following our moods and feelings, we do develop that personal style over time, though never to the extent we can really put an absolute label on it! This look is oh so cool … just like you!

• November 9, 2017 / 4:30 pm

You are so right, dearest Dawn…I agree that over time, we DO start to gravitate to certain details and pieces and colours that evolve into our own personal "look." But trying to label that look?? It kinda takes the fun and spontaneity out of getting dressed each day, doesn't it?! 😘

2. November 9, 2017 / 8:00 pm

I adore that skirt beyond words to express it. So cute and it's perfect with the shoes.

I do hate the idea of being wedded to a "uniform". I'm not happy with a "minimalist" or "capsule" wardrobe. I love having a closet full of choices, that I can "shop". But I hate to admit it, I do tend to have a few different silhouettes and combinations I tend to stick to. For me it's just about body type. My body type is tricky to fit and tricky to flatter. I joke that no one makes clothes in "size troll" so I do have to stick to certain formulas. I also tend to be attracted to many of the same colors because they are colors I feel good in. I do try to mix it up with new colors and patterns in unexpected places though. I often say my style is 40% simple and classic, 40% romantic and sweet, and 20% anything goes. I like to surprise people with that unusual top or jacket or pair of shoes or skirt. I sometimes surprise myself with the things I am drawn to. If I am really drawn to something I always buy it because it it's no my brain, it's usually there for a reason.

I also have followed fashion bloggers who tend to stick too much to a uniform. I don't get that. Why would I want to look at your blog for inspiration when I see just a bunch of variations on the same outfit. That's what makes your blog so perfect is that I don't know what to expect!

• November 10, 2017 / 2:38 pm

Oh my goodness, Rachel…I'm SO happy to hear that all my different outfit ideas are keeping you inspired!! That's the best compliment EVER!! And I know exactly what you mean about having a closet full of choices to pull from; I can't imagine being restricted to a highly edited "capsule wardrobe" every season. Variety is the spice of life, am I right?! P.S. Repeating a favourite silhouette or colour is very different from sticking to an actual outfit "uniform" in my opinion…you SHOULD be wearing what you like, after all!! P.P.S. I've been wanting a knit maxi skirt in my collection for quite a while now, and I finally found exactly the right one in this beauty!! 👍 😁

3. November 10, 2017 / 2:44 pm

He he, finally someone agrees! I never understand ,,signature style,,. I almost though I needed that! It s the same as hanging your clothes ready, before sleeping,for the next day. It doesn t work! In the morning I probably am in a total different mood! Signature style? My ass!

• November 10, 2017 / 10:02 pm

Choosing an outfit the night before rarely works for me either, dearest Nancy…for exactly that reason!! How can I possibly already know "who" I'll want to be the next morning?? I suppose having a limited selection of pieces (whether in number or style) to work with could be considered easier; but as far as I'm concerned, it takes all the fun out of getting dressed!! XOXO

• November 11, 2017 / 2:18 pm

Glad you like it, Nancy!! And thank you so much for visiting, too!! 😘

4. November 11, 2017 / 11:09 pm

Thank you for joining the Top of the World Style linkup party. this desaturated look with the different pattern is stunning. Love your skirt too.