Should/Not: faux-fur scarf, oversized sweater, vegan leather leggings, over-the-knee boots

Do you sometimes find yourself considering particular pieces because someone else (maybe a sales associate or a trendy co-worker) keeps insisting you “should” have them??  Like a pair of classic black trousers that “work with everything,” for example…or a denim skirt because – hey! – everyone else in the whole wide world is wearing one!?

Monika Faulkner styles faux-fur scarf, chunky sweater, glass bead earrings, pink french-braided hair

I may have four years of personal style blogging (and a lifetime of shopping!) experience under my belt, but that hardly means it doesn’t still occasionally happen to me.  And I’m going to use those black trousers and the denim skirt that I mentioned above to illustrate two sides of how this generally accepted idea of wardrobe “must haves” is perhaps not all it’s cracked up to be!!

Monika Faulkner styles oversized sweater, faux-fur scarf, vegan leather leggings, over-the-knee boots, pony-hair bag

My regular visitors will know by now that when it comes to colour, I love me some black….so you’d think a pair of good ol’ plain black pants would be a no-brainer.  And yet I just know I’d never wear them!!  Black jeans and black leather leggings are a different story due to their inherent edginess; which leaves “basic” black bottoms with no place in my outfit arsenal!!

The denim skirt scenario, on the other hand, has been a whole different experience for me.  I can’t seem to get it out of my head that I “need” one…and you’ve seen various versions of them appear here since way back when I started my blog.  I’ve tried long ones, short ones, distressed ones, and tailored ones; but the only iteration that hasn’t cycled right back out of my wardrobe is a black (of course!) denim pencil skirt.  It’s probably time to concede that while I’m definitely a jeans girl, I’m apparently not really a jeans skirt kind of girl!!

If there’s a lesson here, it’s always this – wear what you want.  Experiment with silhouettes and colours and trends you’re unsure of…but stick to your guns when you know it’s simply not right for you.  And remember that the one and only thing anyone’s personal style ever should be is a “work in progress!!”

1. Lise
    December 4, 2017 / 6:10 am

Great advice! Got me thinking. Lise

• December 4, 2017 / 8:02 pm

Thanks Lise!! And thanks for visiting, too!! 😊

2. December 4, 2017 / 6:52 am

Great post, Monika! I couldn’t agree with you more. I have had denim skirts before but I’ve found that I don’t really ever wear them either. I think it’s because I’ve never found one that’s really comfortable. Mostly because they don’t seem to sit still – the skirt is always shifting on my hips and it drives me crazy!
    You look gorgeous in this post, as you always do!
    Suzy xx

• December 4, 2017 / 8:25 pm

They do have a tendency to twist around, don’t they dear Suzy?! 😉 I love the idea of a denim skirt…but somehow, I never really feel like myself when I’m wearing one. I’ve almost got myself convinced to stop looking at jeans skirts when I’m out shopping; although I can’t seem to resist sneaking a quick peek every once in a while. You know – just in case the “perfect” one for me is out there after all!! 😜

3. December 4, 2017 / 10:11 am

I think a lot of wardrobe “shoulds” were created with certain lifestyle assumptions in mind. Do I own a pair of black dress pants? Yes I do, but I work a business attire office job. Black pants are one of the things I build a wardrobe around. But why do I *need* a denim skirt? It’s too casual for the office. Would I wear it for casual days? Well, demin is heavy which makes it a bit hot in the summer and skirts can be chilly for casual winter days, so it’s more seasonal than it looks. So many considerations when you think of wardrobe “needs”.

• December 4, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Of course some of us will need to take workplace guidelines into consideration, dear Rachel…but unless it’s a very conservation office, I believe there’s always a way to tweak that corporate dress code to reflect what we really WANT to wear. 😊

4. December 5, 2017 / 5:37 am

I also never understand the ,,basics,,we all need! I don t have a white blouse, I don t even own a pair of jeans! Would t the world be ugly if we all wore the same!

• December 6, 2017 / 6:42 am

No jeans?! Wow, Nancy – you really go your own way…and I totally applaud that!! The world would indeed be a very boring place if we all dressed alike. I honestly never noticed that jeans were “missing” from your wardrobe…you build such fabulous looks without them!! (Which proves right there that someone else’s idea of a “must have” definitely does not have to be your own!!) 👍