A Good Vintage: How to style super-cool silver platform disco booties

I titled my last post “Cinderella” (because I’m a bit of a princess when it comes to my footwear choices!) but now I’m thinking that it probably would have been more appropriate for today‘s post!!  Seriously – just take a gander at the fantabulous new booties that I added to my collection care of all those Boxing Day sales that were going on between Christmas and New Years!! 😍

I have a serious fondness for platforms because they’re such a comfortable way to get the extra height I’m always going for; and when I spotted these reptile-textured leather beauties – in silver, no less! – there was no freakin’ way that I could walk out of the store without them!!

silver platform disco booties, velvet slip dress, pyjama-style shirtdress, grey felt beret

I’d mentioned on Monday how genuine leather shoes (versus those made of that cheap-looking “faux” stuff) do not need to cost a fortune, and these ankle boots are the perfect example.  They were originally priced at $300, which is well out of reach of my monthly “arbitrary” shopping budget…and – let’s face it – silver platform disco booties are a “must have” only in the most whimsical sense!!  But when they’re on clearance for a mere $45?!  I dare you to say that I made a poor purchase!! 😉

velvet slip dress, pyjama-style shirtdress, grey felt beret

silver platform disco booties, velvet slip dress, pyjama-style shirtdress, maroon circle cross-body bag, grey felt beret

Even better was the fact that I had a Christmas gift card burning a hole in my pocket; so what might be the world’s coolest boots didn’t end up costing me so much as a penny.  And you better believe that I immediately worked them into an outfit combination to show them off…and not a dance club kind of outfit, either!!

pyjama-style shirtdress, maroon circle cross-body bag

We were meeting Robin’s family for a cozy dinner to celebrate his birthday, and I wanted to wear something a little more “special” than one of my go-to denim ensembles.  So layered dresses (a velvet slip dress under a pyjama-style shirtdress) and layered necklaces it was; with my grey felt beret thrown in for good measure.  A vintage-inspired look like this is definitely a departure from my generally more rock-and-roll aesthetic…but I don’t call myself a “fearless fashionista” for nothing!! 😁

1. January 11, 2018 / 11:18 am

But where oh where are they from, Monika… I can’t see any shopping links…?!! 😨

They really are the bees knees – I’m telling you I would have bought them too at that price (or for double that TBH)! Love how you’ve styled them – so rock n roll boho, if there is such a style.

Now I think of it they remind me of a pair of boots like that that my male cousin (who’s 20 years older than me) had in the 70s – exactly the same, just taller and more silvery. Totally glam rock, what a dude…!

C x

• January 11, 2018 / 11:19 am

Meant to say: If they were making Pretty in Pink NOW they would totally put Molly R in this exact outfit 😀 ❤

• January 11, 2018 / 8:01 pm

You know what might be the BEST thing about these slinky silver boots, dearest Catherine?! They are ridiculously – unbelievably! – comfortable; I wore them out for the very time for an entire afternoon and evening without so much as the tiniest “ouch!!” (Gotta love those platforms, right?!) As far as a shopping link goes?? I rarely include one because I want to inspire my readers to “find their own fabulous”…rather than encourage them to copy my choices exactly. But if you’d like to try and chase down a pair for yourself, I snagged them at Browns Shoes!! 😁 P.S. I wonder if your cousin still has his??

2. January 12, 2018 / 4:43 am

Fantastic look you created there! I never wear silver of anything with silver in it, I am more of a golden girl😂😂😂😂

• January 12, 2018 / 8:10 pm

That’s what makes personal style “personal,” dearest Nancy…we each get to wear what we want!! Wouldn’t the world be a boring place if we all liked the same things?! XO

3. January 12, 2018 / 6:08 am

Saw the boots on your IG and couldn’t wait to see what you would do with them. OMG! You took this in a totally different direction from what I would have expected. I love this outfit. I love the overdress and how you paired it with velvet and lace (and the sweet bag and feminine jewelry..). It’s all so feminine and sweet and then you sock it to us with the boots. Congrats on finding a bargain you love.

• January 12, 2018 / 8:43 pm

This was one of those ensembles that just kinda magically “came together,” dearest Rachel!! Of course I HAD to get my amazing new boots out on the town; and that crushed velvet slip dress with its silvery shimmer was new as well; so why not debut them both together?! But I needed more coverage than the dress could provide on its own – it’s the middle of winter, after all! – so I scanned my closet for something to layer over top…thought I’d give this floral shirtdress a try…and tada!! An outfit was born!! P.S. Expect to see A LOT more “silver boot outfits” in the coming weeks!! 😉

4. January 14, 2018 / 10:01 pm

Great look. You look stunning. Your hair is the right pop of color. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style.