Leapfrogging: How to wear a sheer shirred t-shirt in January

Is anyone else as bemused as I am over the fact that February starts next week?!  Not that I’m upset to see January go – together with November, it’s one of my least favourite months – but seriously…wasn’t it just Christmastime?!

sheer shirred t-shirt layered over a striped sweater dress

I can remember back when I was a kid that it felt like there was an endless stretch of time between the first day of school in September and being off again for Christmas break.  Now it seems as though we leapfrog from season to season with barely a moment to catch our breath.  But I’m not going to protest too much until we hit May; that’s when I’d like things to slow. right. down. so that I can squeeze every last drop out of summer…the absolute best time of year!!

sheer shirred t-shirt layered over a striped sweater dress, black and leopard-patterned moto jacket, platform booties

sheer shirred t-shirt layered over a striped sweater dress, platform booties

At least I don’t have to be all bundled up in a parka and snow boots like many of you probably need to be right now, dear readers.  I’ve added quite a few coats to my collection in recent years; and while a few of them are definitely very warm, they were all chosen first and foremost for their style…not their practicality!!  Still, I’ll opt to go without outerwear whenever possible; it always seems a bit of a shame to me to hide away the outfit fabulousness I’ve dreamed up in my climate-controlled condo just because the weather outside won’t play along!!  😁

sheer shirred t-shirt layered over a striped sweater dress, black studded Michael Kors bag

sheer shirred t-shirt layered over a striped sweater dress

So imagine how lucky I felt today, at the tail end of January, that I only barely needed a jacket for our afternoon out, and – even better! –  because I managed to get away with wearing a dress sans tights!!  My black and leopard-patterned Phillip Lim moto is a pretty special piece…but without some cooperation from the great outdoors, you’d never have seen the cute little sleeves of this sheer shirred t-shirt I layered over my striped sweater dress.  All I can do now is keep my fingers crossed that the month of February treats me just as well!!

1. January 25, 2018 / 7:43 am

Monika I would NEVER think to layer a top like that over a sweater dress, but I absolutely love it!! Your hair looks fabulously pink and fresh too, gotta love a magenta ‘do!

Am envying your milder temps over here… I agree about roll on May 🙂

C xoxo

• Monika
      Author
      January 26, 2018 / 6:56 am

I’ve really been pushing myself to try “unexpected” combinations, dearest Catherine!! A dress is so easy – one and done – but also a little bit boring once you’ve worn it a few times, am I right?? By layering this t-shirt overtop, it suddenly felt like a brand new piece again!! P.S. We had a crazy snow flurry yesterday…but nothing stuck, thank goodness!! 😱

2. January 25, 2018 / 8:50 am

That is a creative way to use a sheer shirt. What I love about your blog is you always get me thinking about other ways to wear my clothes and combinations I never would have thought of.

You are my soul sister. I’m so happy to be seeing the end of January and I want to milk every last bit of summer I can. I don’t have the luxury of a non-frigid winter where I can go without outerwear. Coats are required in my neck of the woods this time of year. When I was a kid that first day of spring that’s warm enough to go outside without a jacket was always the happiest day of the year. Of course going without a coat was tricky because I was always watched over my an Italian grandmother. Italian grandmothers are obsessed with being warm and not catching cold.

• Monika
      Author
      January 26, 2018 / 6:59 am

Oh my goodness…so are German mothers, dearest Rachel!! That might be part of the reason I’m always pushing the envelope when it comes to wearing (or NOT wearing!) a coat now; I’m rebelling against all those years that I wasn’t allowed out of the house without one!! 😂

3. January 26, 2018 / 5:48 am

Oh yes, spring can t come to soon! Love your dress!

• Monika