Blasted: slouchy trousers, patterned shirt and cropped sweater with a fur-collared coat

After being hopeful that spring was right around the corner here in British Columbia’s Lower Mainland – after all, we’d made it through December and January with nowhere near the weather mayhem we’d endured at this time last year – Vancouverites have been hit with an Arctic blast this past week…boohoo!!

patterned shirt and cropped sweater, fur-collared coat, polka-dotted sunglassesIn fact, it was so blustery on this particular afternoon, Robin and I were genuinely worried that our camera tripod might blow away; not to mention that we had to keep jumping back into our car to warm up!!  Which means serious kudos go out to my hubby for managing to capture some really nice pics…despite his frozen fingers and the way those gale-force winds were tossing around my hair.  I’d considered topping off my outfit-of-the-day with a hat – as I almost always do – but honestly??  I didn’t think I could keep one on my head!!

slouchy trousers, patterned shirt and cropped sweater with a fur-collared coat

faux-fur-collared coat, teal satchel, polka-dotted sunglasses

And I would have loved to show you a little more of my cute slouchy trousers, patterned shirt and cropped sweater combo, too; but there was no way my tweedy coat with its cozy faux-fur collar was coming off today!!  I still can’t believe that I snagged a knee-length wool-blend coat for a piddly $40 from H&M last fall.  It’s absolutely the perfect topper for days like this, when I can’t imagine going without extra “armour” against the elements on my lower half…not just my upper body like a shorter jacket would provide.

slouchy trousers, faux-fur-collared coat, teal satchel, wedge booties, polka-dotted sunglasses

polka-dotted sunglasses, fuchsia hair

slouchy trousers, patterned shirt and cropped sweater with a fur-collared coatIt even had me feeling brave enough to bare my ankles; when the rest of me is this bundled up, I always like to show a tiny bit of skin; you know – just to prove that there really is a woman hiding under all those layers!!  Although I don’t know if I’ll dare the same next week, since our forecast says we have several snowfalls to (not!) look forward to in the upcoming days!!  😱

faux-fur-collared coat, polka-dotted sunglasses, fuchsia hair

1. Linda B
    February 22, 2018 / 6:58 am

I can just about feel that chill, between the wind-blown pictures and your descriptive words. And I can remember how that feels (and worse!) from the decade I lived in Minneapolis many years ago. It has been a strange winter here in the desert SW too, oddly warm and extra dry until last week. Now we are getting our version of winter, with cool days, a fair amount of rain along with some bright sunny days, and many nights just above the freezing point. However, I have to say that for us, it is an opposite experience from yours–we are so thankful for this cool weather–a chance to wear some cozy layers, for one. For another, it means it will be longer (hopefully) until the blast furnace of summer hits us. Seemed way too close when it was 80 degrees out for a few weeks in early February!

I love all your gorgeous grey layers. Keep warm, Monika!

• February 25, 2018 / 9:59 pm

Eighty degrees sounds like heaven to me right about now, dearest Linda!! 😁 But of course the grass is always greener, isn’t it?? I always say that I’d love to live where it’s summer all year around…but I do agree that it’s nice sometimes to do the cozy sweater and faux-fur thing. Know anyplace where winter only lasts for about one month?? 😘

2. February 23, 2018 / 7:52 am

I do love that coat, so if the cold weather has any upsides, you have an excuse to wear it.

I had the most beautiful springlike weather two days ago and today the chilly rain is just soaking to my bones. It’s still February, so I guess bad weather is to be expected. Springtime in NY is a myth anyway. We just have an extended, somewhat warmer winter for March, April, and part of May before it turns into summer (last year it was all of May and part of June). Good thing cozy sweaters and coats are on sale now. I will need them for the next two months.

• February 25, 2018 / 10:07 pm

We often have that kind of spring in Vancouver, too, dearest Rachel; rain, rain, rain…and then boom!! Summer is here!! Of course all that rain makes wearing sweaters without a water-resistant outer layer kind of challenging; sometimes it feels like we never get a chance to do the in-between seasons properly around here!! 😩

3. February 23, 2018 / 11:31 pm

It is very very cold here too, it s even freezing during the day! And I wanted to make some photos today! Not gonna happen! I love your outfit, I always love cropped pants! Happy weekend!

• February 25, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Cold windy weather is the pits, dearest Nancy…no amount of sunshine can make up for it, in my opinion!! One of these days I may resort to doing blog photoshoots indoors during the winter; but so far I’ve always managed to tough it out!! 😜

4. February 26, 2018 / 10:26 am

I am loving all the fabulous shades of grey in this outfit, Monica. Your coat is amazing and so elegant. Great photos!

Welcome by every Thursday and join my style linkup. Also, starting this upcoming Sunday on March 4th I will be running a monthly style linkup which will go on the first Sunday of each month. Come join it and share your awesome style. Thanks, Ada. =)