In and out: denim on denim combo with a vest and distressed skinny jeans

Let’s be honest – fashion wouldn’t be fashion without those ever-evolving trends that tell us from season to season what’s “in” and what’s “out”.  Fickleness is truly the name of the game!!  Isn’t it interesting how our ideas of what is “flattering” versus “faux pas” can change according to what we see on the runway and the street??

denim on denim combo with a vest and distressed skinny jeans

It doesn’t always happen overnight, though!!  Take socks-with-sandals and high-waisted jeans…two trends over which I’m still very much on the fence.  I can’t seem to get over my dislike of socks, for one; I’d rather have cold feet than wear them…and that’s saying a lot!!  And while I can understand the appeal of a high-waisted skirt or dress for the illusion of “legs for days”, high-waisted pants aren’t fooling anyone; all they’ll do is give you “long bum syndrome” (as my hubby so aptly describes it).

polka-dotted blouse, denim vest, fuchsia hair

polka-dotted blouse, denim vest, fuchsia hair

And certain trends will simply never get off the ground for some of us.  For me it’s “athletic shoes with everything”; oh my gosh…will someone please, please, PLEASE make it stop already?!  Converse sneakers and a sundress I can handle; but bonafide gym shoes need to go back to the gym where they belong!!

denim on denim combo with a vest and distressed skinny jeans

However, there’s a former fashion no-no that I was immediately ready to embrace…and that’s the right to do denim on denim!!  Maybe it’s because I’m a Canadian girl – after all, the combo is also known as a Canadian tuxedo! – but I think there’s nothing quite as cool as a worn-in denim or chambray shirt with a great pair of  jeans (low-waisted, of course!), a statement belt, and stack-heeled boots or booties (for goodness sake, step away from those trainers!!)

distressed black skinny jeans, leopard-patterned platform pumps

polka-dotted blouse, denim vest, layered necklaces

Today I might have mixed it up a little with a denim vest instead of a shirt, and leopard-patterned pumps rather than boots…but that rock-chic-slash-rodeo vibe is still going strong with my black distressed skinny jeans, dotted blouse, and layered necklaces and rings.  No one is going to mistake me for a mom on her way to an aerobics workout*…and that’s just the way I like it!!

denim on denim combo with a vest and distressed skinny jeans

*not that there’s anything wrong with that!

1. March 22, 2018 / 7:26 am

Ha ha. I don’t like to wear athletic sneakers with anything but my workout gear either. They just look too clunky. That’s not my look. If I’m going for street casual, I have all kinds of colored and patterned (and sensible black) plain canvas sneaker that would be worthless in athletic endeavors. (Although my gym sneakers are always fun colors and patterns too, but they don’t look sleek enough to look cute with dressier outfits (I don’t do athleisure!) Were socks with sandals a thing recently? I didn’t realize. I can’t go barefoot in cold weather. Cold feet are the worst part of winter so socks are a must under boots and shoes (also prevent shoe bites and super-stinky feet), but if it’s too cold to go without socks, then it’s too cold to wear sandals! I don’t like high-waisted jeans for a different reason. I have big boobs and a short torso, so if my jeans are too high-waisted, then I lose any semblance of a waist at all (but I also have a big belly, so too low and I have a massive muffin top – pants are a perpetual struggle for me).

Your shoes are fierce. I love leopard shoes and those are just stunning.

It is amazing though how the fashion industry will tell us what’s “flattering” and how that just happens to correspond with what’s currently in stores.

• March 23, 2018 / 3:00 pm

Socks with sandals (and slides and pumps, too) ARE a thing, dearest Rachel…but I can’t make up my mind if the look is sweet or silly. Definitely cringeworthy if the socks in question are athletic (yep, I’ve seen it!) but fishnet or sheer patterned ankle socks are sometimes sorta kinda cute. I’ve even dared experiment with that combination myself…despite still insisting how much I HATE socks!! And while I AM an advocate for “low-waisted” jeans and trousers, moderation is key; I think an inch or so under the belly button is just about perfect. P.S. Thanks so much for the leopard shoe love!! 😘

2. Tiina
    March 22, 2018 / 11:08 am

I sooo like what I hear. So true. Luckily there are so many trendy options that I can happily skip trainers. It is heels that make my outfit. Full stop.

• March 23, 2018 / 3:02 pm

I’m fist pumping right now, dear Tiina!! 😁

3. Linda B
    March 23, 2018 / 1:40 pm

I am so with you on athletic shoes, for anything other than being athletic! (I do love them for that, as a runner, of course.) I have tried and actually really don’t even like the look of Converse tennies with a skirt or dress. I hardly even like them with shorts or pants. Let’s see yes to pretty shoes and boots, always!!!!

“Long bum syndrome”–lol!!!!!! I actually love my high-waisted jeans, as I have a very long, hour-glass waist so they feel good on. But I am sometimes afraid that they make my back end look too long. Now I have a name for that syndrome: I love it! I usually try to balance proportions out with the top I wear. Wide and cropped sometimes works. Often, I end up covering the high waist with a shirt or sweater worn over it. The fit still feels great underneath, in my case.

• March 23, 2018 / 3:23 pm

Great minds think alike…I’ll usually camouflage the (very) few higher-waisted pieces I own, too, dearest Linda!! And always a great big YES to pretty footwear versus ugly old athletic shoes. I brought home a pair of high-top Converse last year after convincing myself I needed to give the trend a try…but I haven’t worn them even once. I just can’t “quit” my heels, I guess!! 😜

4. March 23, 2018 / 11:39 pm

I already got used to wear socks in shoes! I have a pair of sheer ones that are very stylish with peeptoes ankle boots, in my head that is! But sneakers? NO NO , only for working out. I also love denim on denim, but also took me a while to get used to that. It felt like work gear at first. I love your shoes!