Going green: an apple green sweater with a stripes-on-stripes shirt and cropped trousers

Do you have a favourite colour, dear readers??  It wouldn’t take a lot of scrolling back through my blog to realize that I’m a big-time fan of black and white; but there’s actually another hue that makes some pretty regular appearances around here.  For as long as I can remember, I’ve been drawn to all the many tones and variations that are collectively known as “green”!!

apple green sweater, striped shirt, beret, cat-eye sunglasses

Within the umpteen nuances that exist in this particular spectrum, sage and olive have been my most consistent loves from year to year.  Sage green – together with the palest of pinks – was our wedding colour…and Robin and I went with a silvery sage called “beach glass” when we painted our previous condo a number of years ago.

an apple green sweater with a stripes-on-stripes shirt and cropped trousers

apple green sweater, striped shirt, striped trousers

And my attraction to olive green goes way back to my childhood; kind of a sophisticated choice for a little girl, don’t you think??  My parents used to take my sister and me to a specialty shop every spring that imported quality leather shoes from Germany.  If I remember correctly, we were each allowed to choose two styles; a utilitarian pair to wear to school, and “dress-up” shoes for Sundays and holidays.

an apple green sweater with a stripes-on-stripes shirt and cropped trousers

One year, I fell head-over-heels (tee hee!) for two pairs of fancy shoes in olive green.  I simply could not decide between them; so in the end, my mom and dad capitulated and bought me both.  Who knows??  Maybe that was the official start of my infatuation not just with the colour, but with fabulous footwear, too!!

an apple green sweater with a stripes-on-stripes shirt and cropped trousers

While I’m not wearing my go-to shades of olive or sage today, this fluffy apple green sweater still definitely does the trick!!  And between the tunic-length blouse and cropped trousers, there’s stripes-on-stripes going on as well…which happen to be at the top of my all-time favourite patterns list.  But let’s leave that story for another day, shall we?!

apple green sweater, striped shirt, striped trousers, beret, cat-eye sunglasses

1. Linda B
    March 15, 2018 / 6:39 pm

Green is one of my faves too! I also tend towards the olive and sage tones, but any can catch my interest. Your pullover is a perfect spring green—the color of new growth!

Totally love the story of those two pairs of shoes you talked your parents into getting you. I am going to take a guess that you were about 8 or 9. Because that is often an age when little—or big!—hints about a person’s future pop up. We can see them in retrospect. So yes, you might have been showing the first signs of being a shoe-loving fashionista way back then.

• Monika
      Author
      March 18, 2018 / 9:41 pm

You’re probably right on the mark with my age when I had that shoe dilemma, dearest Linda; I must remember to ask my mom the next time I speak with her!! And even though I didn’t think about it at the time, I have to agree that my green sweater really is the “perfect” shade for spring!! XOXO

2. March 16, 2018 / 3:45 am

I love green. But now you made me very curious about a wedding photo!

• Monika
      Author
      March 18, 2018 / 9:46 pm

I wore a white gown like most brides do, dearest Nancy!! But my wedding attendant’s dress was a lovely soft sage green…and she carried a bouquet of pale pink tulips (one of my favourite flowers)!! 💐

• Monika
      Author
      March 18, 2018 / 9:47 pm

Thank you so much!!

3. March 16, 2018 / 5:30 am

I’m rather focused on the stripes-on-stripes right now. Love the pants!

I’ts rather cliched, but I’m the girly girl who loves pink. I make no apologies for it. I’m still a feminist who pumps iron and plays in the mud with horses and is never afraid to sweat. I can still be girly! My closet is heavily pink and raspberry in summer and plum and cranberry in winter. It’s why I love the color of your hair so much!

• Monika
      Author
      March 18, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Nothing wrong with being a “girly” girl, dearest Rachel; and I think I may even have you beat in that department…’cause I HATE getting sweaty and dirty. In fact, I’m probably an out-and-out “princess”; kudos to you for putting a little balance in the equation!! 👍

4. March 16, 2018 / 8:33 am

I love, love green on you and it looks so perfect with your hair!! And you can NEVER go wrong with stripes either. Another pattern crush of mine for sure. Hope you’re enjoying all this beautiful sun and wishing you a fantastic Friday Mon!! xo

• Monika
      Author
      March 18, 2018 / 10:09 pm

Robin and I had an AMAZING weekend, dearest Veronika; we celebrated St. Paddy’s Day in a very non-traditional way…by taking our convertible out for the first time this year!! Stop by on Monday for the photographic evidence!! 😉

5. March 19, 2018 / 5:47 am

Perfect sweater! My favorite color is blue and all its shades. And of course black and white, this is the base colors. The same sweater in blue tones is my ideal!