High time: flare jeans, polka-dotted wrap blouse, and flat-top fedora

I’m gonna let you in on a personal style secret of mine today, dear readers.  Despite my obsession with all things denim and my never-ending search for the “perfect” jeans (is there even such a thing?) I can honestly count on one hand the number of times that I’ve spent more than $40 for any single pair.  Yes…really!!

black and white polka-dotted wrap blouse, flat-top fedora, sunglasses

Every serious stylista will know this is a pretty. big. deal.  I’d hazard a guess that the “average” price for many (most?) well-known brands is at least $100; and the coolest, of-the-moment labels can cost upwards of $200 and even $300.  Ouch!!  At the rapid rate that I tend to rotate skinnies and flares and crops through my wardrobe, I would have been bankrupt ages ago paying those preposterous prices!!

flare jeans, polka-dotted wrap blouse, and flat-top fedora

black and white polka-dotted wrap blouse, flat-top fedora, sunglasses

While I absolutely understand the wisdom of spending more moola on “investment” pieces that will last beyond a single season, I also know my “shopping queen” gene (teehee!) would never allow me to go for very long before a shiny new pair managed to ensnare my fickle fashion heart.  So I’m quite happy to get that regular denim fix I crave care of American Eagle Outfitters (boho alert!), H&M (I’ll check out their latest iterations on an almost weekly basis!), or Winners…which happens to be where I found these particularly delicious Hudson flare-hemmed jeans.

button-fly flare jeans, polka-dotted wrap blouse

flare jeans, polka-dotted wrap blouse, and flat-top fedora

polka-dotted wrap blouse, flat-top fedora, silver disc earring, sunglasses, fuchsia hair

Now it’s time for full disclosure, though.  These beauties are one of the above-mentioned handful that actually did cost me more than forty bucks; exactly twice as much, to be precise.  Still eons from being extravagant; and seriously…how could I possibly have said anything other than an unequivocal “yes!” to the statement-making button-fly detail and that perfect high-waisted fit?!  I don’t even like high-waisted silhouettes…but these jeans??  They might just be the ones that (finally?) have me seeing the error of my sartorial ways!! 😜

flare jeans, polka-dotted wrap blouse, and flat-top fedora

1. May 31, 2018 / 5:39 am

You know I’m a denim girl, too! I have had a few high priced pairs in my closet, but I also like the cheaper versions. Fashionista friends can’t believe how often I’m in Old Navy jeans! Their curvy fit is perfect for me and they last forever! One of my more expensive pairs is a pair of Hudsons and I love them. These fabulous jeans of yours are quite a find! LOVE!!!

2. Linda B
    May 31, 2018 / 6:44 am

Oh yeah, you should not have said no to these fabulous jeans. They look absolutely fantastic on you! I have lots more to say about jeans. . . but am making this comment on the fly (ha ha) as I rush off to work!

3. Linda B
    June 1, 2018 / 9:13 am

Okay, I finally have a moment to add to my comment yesterday morning. I am so with you on love of denim!!!! I have worn everything from cheapo versions–Target, and TJ Maxx–and just one truly expensive pair, that I really do adore–high-waisted straight/skinny legs, from Imogene & Willie. Currently, I am loving the slightly cropped/flared jeans I ordered from Everlane back in April, in a light blue wash. Also, I have a few denim skirts, though still am on the hunt for the perfect one. The two I have are both from Madewell; one I got second hand, and one I bought new a few months ago. The older one is actually more wearable in some respects, at least for me. I love the copper diagonal buttons down the front on that one.

I adore those new boho jeans you have, Monika, and so wish I could wear that style–it is the one that I probably I will never be able to wear, because I am average height but all of it is in my torso. Those long flares never work on me, because I have to cut, cuff or hem jeans to fit my short legs–and that means I lose so much of that gorgeous wide flare that the jeans end up looking dumb.

Anyway, I think there is no real right or wrong with any jeans, as long as they fit well and you love wearing them.

Last note on jeans: last summer I became obsessed–again, as I was in my youth!–with embroidery on denim. Ive done a few pairs of jeans now, one with fall leaves for myself, one with roses for my BFF, and another with roses that I meant to try to sell but haven’t. . .The idea of starting an Etsy shop seemed great until I broke my wrist three months ago and could not until this week start embroidering again. Instead of doing more for my fantasy shop, I am doing another pair of my own with roses, for summer.

Okay, ’nuff said!!!!

4. June 1, 2018 / 9:48 am

Oeps! I only have two pair of jeans!😂😂😂😂
    That blouse is fantastic! Enjoy your weekend!

5. Lise
    June 2, 2018 / 8:11 am

The high rise is very flattering! Lise

6. June 4, 2018 / 12:11 pm

I have never spent $100 or more on a pair of jeans and I never will. There is no reason for jeans to cost that much. They’re all made in the same southeast Asian factories for pennies. It’s all markup. The inseams wear out on my most expensive jeans (I once spent $80) as fast as they do on my cheapest (inseams are where my jeans fall apart first – no thigh gap).