Boho bliss: how to be hippie-chic in a velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat

I’m not sure what it is about warm and sunny weather that immediately brings out the bohemian side of my personal style, dear readers…but I’m certainly not mad about it!! 😉

furry vest, floppy felt hat, oversized sunglasses, fuchsia hair

Rock band and hippie-inspired looks are kissing cousins anyways; and while I love – and practically live in – my edgy denim and black leather ensembles the whole winter long…when the temperature rises??  I’ll be the first to admit that a softer “music festival” vibe simply feels more seasonally appropriate.

velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat

velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat

So yeah – it’s pretty obvious that I felt the first bite of that summertime boho bug with today’s tone-on-tone, texture-tastic combo, isn’t it??  I mentioned on Monday that my suitcase full of can’t-do-a-vacation-without-’em pieces had gone astray after my complicated trip back home from Toronto…and this velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat – even those open-toe suede booties! – were all part of my wayward travel wardrobe.

furry vest, floppy felt hat

velvet slip dress, furry vest, oversized sunglasses, and floppy felt hat

Which means, of course, that said suitcase is no longer MIA – hallelujah!! 🙌  And what better way to celebrate the happy occasion than with an outfit made up of an entire handful of things I thought I might never see again?!  I’d done a very similar look for a dinner date with my favourite cousin while I was in T.O. (did you catch my post on Instagram?) but wearing exactly the same ensemble always feels like a sartorial cop-out to me.

furry vest, floppy felt hat, fuchsia hair

velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat

What can I say??  Why opt for a repeat performance when upping the outfit ante is just so much more fun??  On the other hand, an anniversary do-over because you spent the actual day shuttling back and forth between Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver is a perfectly acceptable option!!  Robin and I are always happy for any excuse to dine at our favourite Indian restaurant…and 16 years of wedded bliss ain’t nothing to sneeze at, am I right?!

velvet slip dress, furry vest, and floppy felt hat

1. Linda B
    May 24, 2018 / 3:21 pm

Happy anniversary!!! And happy return of the missing suitcase! Yay!!!!

Boho is always a great summer mood….

• Monika
      Author
      May 24, 2018 / 9:58 pm

There’s a funny – and rather fortunate! – postscript to my missing suitcase story, dearest Linda!! Not surprisingly, none of our friends was available at 1:30am to retrieve me and my bags from the airport…and since the trunk of our little convertible isn’t big enough to contain even a carry-on, Robin thought we’d have to pay a cabbie $100 to bring my suitcase home. The way it turned out, Air Canada ended up delivering it straight to our door…for free!! 😁

• Linda B
        May 26, 2018 / 5:00 am

Sometimes we get good surprises!!!! I’m so glad this worked out so well for you in the end!

• Monika
      Author
      May 25, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Aww…thank you so much, dear Nistha!! And thank you so much for visiting, too!! 😊

2. May 25, 2018 / 7:47 am

So glad you got your stuff back -and you’re rockin’ it!

I know what you mean about warm weather and boho. Although I generally don’t define my style, it is most definitively not boho. Yet in the summer I am often drawn to those pieces. It’s all about the casual vibe I guess.

• Monika
      Author
      May 25, 2018 / 11:23 pm

Yup – summer sun and bohemian-inspired style are definitely a match made in heaven, dearest Rachel!! 👍

3. Jodie
    May 25, 2018 / 8:29 am

I love that you still rock a fur vest in the warmer weather!! I’m totally going to copy that!!
    XOOX
    Jodie

4. Michelle
    May 25, 2018 / 9:33 am

LOVE that outfit! The velvet dress is so pretty with the furry vest. I would not have thought to do sleeveless with sleeveless, but I like the effect.

I’m with you – warm weather totally brings out my inner Stevie Nicks. I’m into a lot of Free People right now!

• Monika
      Author
      May 25, 2018 / 11:54 pm

Stevie Nicks might just be the OG of hippie-chic, dear Michelle!! Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello!!