Distraction: distressed cropped jeans, squared-toed booties, and straw fedora

I’m not gonna lie, dear readers – focussing on my blog is really rather tough right now…thanks to all the stress and worry my hubby and I have been feeling ever since he was notified that his job (which was actually a partnership as well) was terminated.

Mickey Mouse t-shirt, straw fedora, sunglasses

On one hand, doing something I love is certainly a much-needed distraction from our current woes.  But on the other hand??  I really don’t want to be distracted; I want to be as involved and supportive and “present” as possible for Robin as he navigates the challenges of finding a new career…and deals with the unfortunate fallout from a nasty business breakup.

distressed cropped jeans, squared-toed booties, and straw fedora

black saddle bag

While I’ve joked a few times about the possibility of living under a bridge soon – not really so funny, I know – there’s no danger of anything as drastic as that happening quite yet.  Still, isn’t it scary how very much the majority of us depend on a steady paycheque (or two) to keep ourselves comfortable??  And how quickly – poof! – that sense of security can be taken away when the financial rug gets unexpectedly pulled out from under our feet??

Mickey Mouse t-shirt, two-tone straw fedora

Not surprisingly, Robin and I are struggling somewhat with a decision to take a little holiday next weekend…our long-anticipated and repeatedly postponed road trip to Cannon Beach, Oregon.  But it’s a getaway we both desperately need – we haven’t been on a real vacation together in years – and in light of our current situation, it could very well be the last opportunity we’ll have for the foreseeable future.

distressed cropped jeans, squared-toed booties, and straw fedora

two-tone straw fedora, fuchsia hair

Wardrobe-wise, I usually plan what I’ll pack weeks before departure; but three days on the road in a car barely big enough to contain an overnight bag makes the whole “packing” thing kind of moot!!  I’m thinking I might just live in my distressed cropped jeans, squared-toed booties, and straw fedora for the entire trip…with a change of t-shirts and a toothbrush, I should be good to go, don’t you think?? 😉

distressed cropped jeans, squared-toed booties, and straw fedora

1. Michelle
    June 28, 2018 / 6:28 am

I’m sorry for all the stress that you and your husband are going through, Monika. I’m sure the vacation will be rejuvinating and will give you the break you need to reset and face the challenges ahead. Getting away for a few days can often help us see things in a new light.

• Monika
      Author
      June 28, 2018 / 8:18 pm

That’s exactly what we’re hoping, dear Michelle!! A change of scene can be the best way to get a change of perspective…which, in turn, is often just what’s needed for a fresh start. Plus – road trips are fun…and we could definitely use a little of that around here right now!! Thank you so much for your kind note!! XO

2. Jeanette
    June 28, 2018 / 3:27 pm

Sounds great going on a road trip.
    Gives you a new perspective on your concerns if you step away from them.
    Hope a new venture comes to Robin.

• Monika
      Author
      June 28, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Robin has always been a master of the rebound, dear Jeanette…I know he’ll be back on his feet asap. 👍 And in the meantime?? We’re hitting the pause button and leaving the worries of the world in the dust…at least for a couple of days!! Thanks for your well wishes!! 😘

3. Linda B
    June 28, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I do hope you can go to Oregon! Just do it. I know it’s hard. Twenty years ago we were about to San Diegonwith our young children—we had rented a place for a week at Mission Beach. My husband lost his job just before the trip. We debated also but followed through with our plans. We managed a good time. My sweet hubby got some temporary work afterwards and we survived until he got a permanent job again at summers end.

I hope something similar happens for you two!!!

Hugs,
    Linda

• Monika
      Author
      June 28, 2018 / 8:57 pm

We’re absolutely going to make it happen, dearest Linda!! It will be a whirlwind trip (there and back in three days, whew!) but when you’re riding in a convertible, the drive itself is half the fun!! As the saying goes – we rarely regret the things we do, but often regret the things we DON’T do; which your own family’s experience perfectly proves!! Thank you so much for sharing your story…and for your kind words of encouragement!! 💕💕

• Linda B
        June 29, 2018 / 7:00 am

You are so welcome! (And looking back at this note I wrote last night, I am appalled at the typos–I was frantically writing that as I sat on a plane that was about to taxi and leave Denver, coming home from a work week in D.C. I had to hit send before they made us turn off our connectivity for take off! Sorry about that. I just really wanted to get that message to you, because I was pretty sure it would be encouraging.)

I am really happy that you will do the trip. I totally get what you mean about the joys of a road trip, although I have never done one in a sweet convertible! And you know how I feel about Oregon. . . so beautiful!