Rescue me: how to style a plaid flannel shirt for summer

Looks like I spoke too soon, dear readers – both about my feeling only a week or two ago that summer had finally arrived here in Vancouver (the temperature has taken a decidedly chilly turn again recently) and about our road trip to Oregon being (despite the loss of Robin’s job and the resulting financial stretch) a “sure thing.”

how to style a plaid flannel shirt for summer

What the heck has happened now, you ask?!  How’s this for superb timing – the vehicle engine light came on when my hubby left his appointment with the employment office on Friday afternoon. 😟 Which means our sweet little ride is currently sitting in the auto repair shop. 😞 And since it’s the Monday of our Canada Day long-weekend, there’s no way it’ll be touched until at least tomorrow morning. 😣

plaid flannel shirt, sage striped skinny jeans, silver platform boots, baker boy cap, pony-hair bag

plaid flannel shirt, baker boy cap, fuchsia hair

What are the chances that we’ll have the Solstice back in time for our planned departure early on Friday??  If anyone out there has a crystal ball, please don’t hesitate to let me know!!  And of course there’s the unexpected expense of having it fixed; an extra expense that we really could have done without right now.  Nothing to do but wait and see, I guess; we have until midnight on Wednesday to cancel our hotel reservation…but Robin and I are desperately hoping that it won’t come to that.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the “perks” of a Toyota Corolla courtesy car with four doors (we are so not sedan people) an automatic transmission (seriously – can that even be called “driving?”) and a funky odour of indeterminate origin.  There’s definitely not a lot of pleasure cruising going on right now, let me tell you; but then again, it’s not as if we’ve had much in the way of “top down” weather lately anyways.

plaid flannel shirt, sage striped skinny jeans, silver platform boots

Which is why I’m wearing a plaid flannel shirt today…although I’ve done my best to give it a summery spin by pairing it with sage striped skinny jeans instead of a dark wash denim.  And even though sandals might have made more seasonal sense – it is July, after all – there’s nothing quite like silver platform “disco” boots to come to the sartorial rescue when I need some cheering up!! 😉

plaid flannel shirt, baker boy cap

1. Linda B
    July 2, 2018 / 9:50 am

Oh Monika, “It never rains but it pours”, they say. But let’s look at the glass half full instead. You still have a good chance of going on your trip I think. I bet the car can be fixed in a few days. The weather should be more summery in Oregon. And your outfit today does read summer despite it’s warmth.

Good luck!

• Monika
      Author
      July 3, 2018 / 7:13 pm

I sure hope you’re right about our chances, dearest Linda…because I’m really starting to feel like this road trip of ours just isn’t meant to be!! But we’ve talked to the garage today, and it actually IS looking like we’ll have our little hot-rod back before tomorrow night’s deadline; albeit with $800 less in our pockets for the trouble. Oh well…it’s only money, am I right?! 😉

2. July 2, 2018 / 10:49 am

Hope the repairs don’t cost too much. That’s a bummer. I can relate. I just realized my car’s inspection is due this month and I don’t know where the funds will come from and I have a vacation coming up in three weeks and I need a little spending money (so many cute clothing and jewelry stores at my destination).

You would appreciate your opportunity to wear flannel and boots if you were experiencing the east coast heat wave I’m in right now. My cute hats aren’t a fashion statement as much as they are way to keep my nose from being sunburned just walking out at lunchtime to grab a snack. I like summer weather (and summer dresses), but this is too hot even for me!

I have given up on the cool car thing. I used to dream of muscle cars and convertibles. Now I have to cart around elderly family members who can’t be climbing into the back seat without a door. If you have to drive in the kind of traffic I have to drive in, manual transmissions just mean thousands of dollars in clutch repairs over time (once spent $1200 to repair a leak only to have it happen again a year later). Maybe once I retire.

• Monika
      Author
      July 3, 2018 / 7:31 pm

This might be terrible to admit…but Robin and I kinda love the fact that having a two-seater car is a sneaky way of NOT being obligated to give anyone a ride, dearest Rachel!! 😜 But I DO understand the necessity of an automatic transmission when you spend most of your time in stop-and-go traffic; all that “clutching” can get awfully tiring!! Weather-wise, I’m happy to report that we’re back to sunshine and warmer temperatures once again…but that probably won’t keep me from wearing one or another pair of my go-to booties; I’m a fan regardless of the season. XO P.S. Good luck with your own vehicular and travel budgets!! Where are you heading for your vacation?? Anywhere that includes some shopping opportunities sounds heavenly to me!!

3. July 3, 2018 / 10:11 pm

No! an automatic is no driving!😁😁 I drove a automatic a few weeks ago when our car was away for the yearly checkup. It s zo lazy driving! I don t like it at all. Only the sound of it I like…..that is if it is a 8 cilinder! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

4. July 6, 2018 / 12:17 am

Love This Retro summer look! A cap with a gingham shrit and khaki skinnies looks ideal! Great booties!
    Kisses,