Lucky Girl: knit camisole, gingham skirt, and over-the-knee boots

Would it surprise you at all to know that I’d originally had a black tank top in mind when I planned this look of the day, dear readers??  Considering my affinity for wearing black – even at the height of summer! – I’m willing to bet probably not!! 😜

knit camisole, gingham skirt, straw fedora, fuchsia hair

I’m glad that I decided on my baby blue knit camisole for this gingham skirt and over-the-knee boots combination instead, though.  Not that it’s ever wrong to wear tone-on-tone ensembles…obviously!!  That kind of colour continuity is often an easy way to achieve some serious outfit sophistication.  Head-to-toe shades of beige can look super chic, for example; and “all black everything” will forever be the ultimate in edginess.

knit camisole, gingham skirt, over-the-knee boots, studded belt, straw fedora

knit camisole, ruffled gingham skirt, studded belt

But sometimes it’s kinda too easy…almost to the point of laziness, don’t you think??  We all know that colours don’t have to “match” in order to work together; and throwing on a hue that’s perhaps a little less expected can do wonders when it comes to making a “safe” outfit suddenly feel really fresh.

knit camisole, gingham skirt, over-the-knee boots, studded belt, straw fedora

ruffled gingham skirt, Lucky Brand over-the-knee boots

Oh – and fearlessly fabulous footwear never hurts either, am I right?!  While I’ve been pretty good about putting the brakes on my spending since my hubby’s unemployment, I’ll admit that these black suede OTK boots from Lucky Brand are, in fact, brand new.  There was simply no way that I could pass them up for the clearance price of – drum roll, please! – a mere $30!!

straw fedora, Lucky Brand earring, fuchsia hair

Actually, you might be seeing a few other Lucky Brand finds showing up here in the next few weeks – hint, hint.  “Budget friendly” and “shopping spree” aren’t phrases that a lot of fashionistas would typically be putting in the same sentence; but when I managed to bring home three pairs of jeans, a pair of earrings, and a jacket for the piddly sum of $150??  What else can I say…except maybe “stay tuned for more”!! 😄

knit camisole, gingham skirt, over-the-knee boots, studded belt, straw fedora

1. Lise
    August 9, 2018 / 9:01 am

I really like these boots, and love your style as always! Lise

• Monika
      Author
      August 14, 2018 / 7:30 am

Thank you so much, dear Lise!! 😊

2. Love nds B
    August 9, 2018 / 3:54 pm

Oh my goodness, you are a clever shopper! Snagging those boots for $30?! Wow. And the rest sounds like a haul too. The outfit is darling and also interesting, with good contrasts.

I was thinking on my way home from work that it’s almost cool enough today—20 degrees cooler than Monday in fact—that I could maaayyybee imagine wearing ankle boots when I go back to work for an evening event soon. But nah—still too warm for those, let alone OTK boots! You wear’em for me!!!

• Monika
      Author
      August 14, 2018 / 7:10 pm

You probably won’t see me wearing these OTK boots on the very hottest days…but ankle boots?? They’re my year-round go-to; I’ll pair them with sundresses in the summer just as often as I do with jeans and leather jackets during the fall and winter months. 👍 Thanks so much for your nice note!! XO

3. August 10, 2018 / 8:54 am

What a bargain! You look creative as always!

• Monika
      Author
      August 14, 2018 / 7:13 pm

Definitely a great bargain, dearest Nancy…way too good not to bring them home!! 😘

4. August 11, 2018 / 4:33 am

I’m glad you wore the top, The color is pretty and it gives a summery look to pieces that might be associated with cooler temps. Speaking of cool weather pieces, kudos to you for tolerating super-tall boots in the height of summer! I guess if you get a pair for $30, it’s hard to resist showing them off. I’m not a fan of tone-on-tone myself. I rarely wear the same top and bottom color unless it’s black or white.Even when it’s black I will always add some color. I will wear a red shirt with a black sweater and pants or a white dress with bright blue shoes and jewelry. If I do wear one color, then one piece has to be patterned (like a burgundy floral blouse over burgundy pants) As a super-short woman I know the rules about wearing one color to look taller, but what’s so great about being taller? It’s just society that tells me it’s bad to be short and it isn’t! Wearing one color all over makes me think if Hillary Clinton’s pantsuits. (Full disclosure I love Secretary Clinton, but I’m not in my 70s and running for office.)

• Monika
      Author
      August 14, 2018 / 7:28 pm

I’d totally forgotten about that old-school recommendation to wear all one colour if you want to create the illusion of height, dearest Rachel…that’s what platforms and stilettos are for!! 😉 Seriously though – I don’t give a rat’s ass about looking taller either (I’m 5’4′); I happen to wear a lot of high heels because I like the way they make me feel, not because I want to add inches. So phooey to outdated personal style “rules” – wear what you want because you WANT to, not because someone says you should!! XO

5. Linda B
    August 11, 2018 / 7:25 am

You totally scored on those boots! And of course, I love how you styled them, though I could never pull off over the knee boots myself in the summer weather here in Arizona. Actually, as much as I love seeing OTK boots on others, they are one of the few things I doubt would look good on me, making my relatively short legs look even more out of proportion. It’s fine–there are plenty of other amazing boot styles in the world. Lucky you can rock them all!

• Monika
      Author
      August 14, 2018 / 7:40 pm

I don’t exactly have the legs of a gazelle either, dearest Linda (see my note to Rachel above!) but these particular boots seem to have the opposite effect of the one you describe…despite not having the high heel that I usually prefer (again – see above!!) Maybe you just haven’t found your “perfect pair” yet!! 🤗